These nachos totally rock. I love a potato, and when these babies get crisp they make a perfect bed for spicy chorizo and melted Oaxaca cheese. The sausage is a bit hot, so be prepared. Make sure you have sour cream on hand to cool things off. Vary the cheese if you like, melted goat cheese is equally delicious. Blue cheese would be a less common option, but hey, some people can’t get enough. It’s your call. Last week I used breakfast sausage, cheddar and put a couple of eggs on it. Totally dope. Of course this mixture would pair beautifully baked on top of tortilla chips as a nice change of pace.
Chorizo and Oaxaca Cheese Potato Nachos
2 large russet potatoes, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 teaspoons canna-canola oil
½ cup bulk chorizo sausage
2 scallions, sliced
Oaxaca cheese, thinly sliced, to cover each potato slice
- Heat oven to 325°F
- On a baking sheet with sides, toss the potato slices with the canola oil. Spread out in a single layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crisp.
- In a medium skillet heat the canna-canola oil over medium-low heat. Add the chorizo and sauté for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the scallion and sauté until soft.
- Divide the sausage mixture among all the potato slices.
- Lay the thinly sliced Oaxaca cheese on top of the chorizo.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, 8-10 minutes.