A man stands on a darkened quite street in San Francisco. As I approached, he asks “Are you here for me?”
The rollup garage door behind him led to a warehouse space for a dining experience I had been eagerly awaiting. A large industrial room housed three tables of the evening’s Northern California entertainment: cannabis from Mendocino’s Happy Day Farms, chocolates made by Sacramento’s Canapa Confections and Alchemy by Dark Heart hosted a vapor bar. There were also medicated appetizers, as well as a delicious medicated Hibicus Mocktail. Most of the edibles were offered in microdoses, 2-5mg, allowing one to sample all of the treats and still remain coherent for the dinner and cannabis pairing.
The Cannaisseur Series is a monthly underground pop-up dining event in San Francisco. Chef Coreen and partner Ryan have been hosting the event in various locations for the past two years. The couple wanted to create a space where people could gather around fine food and cannabis. However, once the Health Department found out about their medicated pop-up dinners Cannaisseur was forced to go underground. Chef Coreen says it was difficult but important to find locations that would allow diners to smoke marijuana—nothing fosters new friendships like sharing a joint over a good meal.
November’s dinner theme was Harvest to Table and there was much to celebrate. This was the first Cannaisseur event since California legalized recreational marijuana. Happy Day Farms who supplied joints between each course, also brought some of their produce that was used in the meal. It felt like a promising start to legalization, a time when farmers can sell and grow tomatoes alongside their cannabis. The event was also unfortunately tinged with the uncertainty of a Donald Trump presidency. The first course was served and a Happy Day Farms’ OG Strawberry joint was lit and election talk subsided to praise of the delicious food.
Coreen and Ryan are hopeful that legalization in California will change the stoner stigma. Cannaisseur does a lovely job of showing off Mary Jane’s sophisticated side. Chef Coreen hopes to start a catering company for both medicated and unmedicated events. As with all Cannaisseur diners, for each meal served one meal was donated to the SF Marin Food Bank, so guests leave feeling good on all levels (not to mention the great goody bags).
Cannaisseur’s Harvest To Table Menu
- Hazelnut Chocolate Cheescake 2mg THC
- Asiago Chive Gougere 2mg THC
- House Gravlax. Seasonal Cucumbers. Dijon Terragon Sauce. Dill Oil
- Sativa Intermezzo by Happy Day Farms
- OG-Strawberry x Chem Valley (22% THC)
- Fingerling Twice BakedPotatoes.Brussel Sprout Pancetta Slaw. House Crème Fraiche
- CBD Intermezzo by Happy Day Farms
- Ogre-Berry x ACDC (6% THC, 14% CBD)
- Rabbit Porchetta. Pea and Fennel Puree. Roasted Baby Carrot. Fennel Pollen.
- Indica Intermezzo by Happy Day Farms
- OG-Strawberry x Ogre-Berry (17% THC)
- Pinot Noir Poached Pear. Coconut Crumble. Almond Chocolate Cake.Coconut Whip Cream.